Spinach and bamboo shoots: two things I never thought I’d bake with together, one thing I never thought I’d bake with at all.
Can you guess which one I never thought I’d bake with?
I was really craving some hot spinach and artichoke dip and just happened to have some almost-starting-to-wilt spinach. Lucky me, right? Right, but I didn’t have artichoke hearts. So, like usual, I improvised.
For some reason, my dad loves bamboo shoots. He eats them every so often, so we usually have them in stock. Lucky for me, because they have a similar texture to artichoke hearts and not too much of a taste.
I really wanted to pat myself on the back when this came out of the oven because I’m pretty sure the bamboo shoots were the best idea ever. This dip is so creamy, rich, and flavorful. It tastes best right out of the oven (duh), but is still delicious the next day (also duh… how can you go wrong with mayo, sour cream, and cheese?)
Also, I made this in a total of 25 minutes from start to finish. So stinkin’ easy.
- 1 ½ cups spinach, chopped
- 1 8 ounce can sliced bamboo shoots
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan, plus more for topping
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400. If you have a “broil” option on your oven, set it to broil.
- Boil spinach and bamboo shoots in 1 cup of water until tender and drain.
- Heat cream cheese in microwave for 1 minute or until hot and soft. Stir in rest of ingredients.
- Place in an 8×8 inch baking dish and sprinkle top with parmesan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the top turns golden brown.
- Serve warm with chips, crackers, or vegetables.