Sometimes I have these really great ideas for baked goods and I dream about them and they sound so great in my head and I make them and they suck.
That’s what happened with this cake. The actual cake turned out horribly dry and dense, but the frosting and filling are great and the photos turned out well so I decided to post it anyway. However, I’m not going to post the cake recipe…just use your favorite fluffy white cake recipe or a box mix.
Do you have a good white cake recipe? Because I clearly need a little help.
- Use your favorite white cake recipe or white box mix cake mix (You will probably need two boxes of cake mix).
- 1 cup hot chocolate mix, light or dark
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ⅛ cup butter, cold
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup hot chocolate mix
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Prepare the cake batter.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pans, spreading all the way to the edges. (About 1⅓ cups cake batter)
- Make the filling by using a pastry cutter, a fork, or your hands to mix together the butter and the hot chocolate mix until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the filling evenly over the batter.
- Spread the remaining batter over the filling. Use a table knife to gently swirl the filling into the batter, as though you were making a marble cake.
- Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While cooling, make the frosting. Beat the butter and hot chocolate mix until fluffy, about two minutes. Add in the vanilla and salt.
- Slowly start adding the powdered sugar in until completely fluffy. Now beat in the cream until combined.
- Once the cake is cool, frost it.