When I was in 3rd grade, I got 3rd place in a spelling bee contest. I remember, I lost on the word “calendar.” I spelled it with an e instead of an a: “calender.”
I cried. Isn’t that silly? I should have been happy that I got 3rd place, but I cried. I didn’t feel so bad anymore, though, when the boy who got 2nd ran to the corner of the gym and started bawling.
I guess the moral of this story is…well, I’m a pretty good speller but there are a few words that trip me up. Avocado, for example. I want to spell it “avacado” every. single. time. Those vowels man, I tell you what.
Anyway, I just felt it necessary that I tell you guys that story.
I don’t care how you spell avocado, all I know is that you should make this pesto. It seriously takes 5 minutes to make, and if you put it on pasta, you’ll have a healthy and delicious dinner served up in 20 minutes flat. Do it.
What words do you have trouble spelling?
Avocado Basil Pesto
From: A Cozy Kitchen
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon sliced almonds
- 1 lemon, for zest and juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 medium avocado
- In a food processor or blender, add the basil, garlic salt, almonds, zest from 1/2 of the lemon, juice from the whole lemon, salt and pepper.
- Blend until chopped, scraping down the sides, if need be.
- With the blender running, slowly add the olive oil and blend until smooth.
- Add the avocado and blend once more. If the mixture is a bit too thick (mine was), add a few tablespoons of water and blend one last time.