There’s nothing more comforting than a warm slice of apple pie, which is perfect because a) I’ve got a recipe for you and b) National Pie Day is January 23rd.
This pie is made with brown sugar and smooth vanilla yogurt for a delicious taste combo and a creamy filling and crunchy topping.
Also, here are some fun pie facts from Wholly Wholesome:
- Nearly one out of five (19%) of Americans prefer apple pie, followed by pumpkin (13%), pecan (12%), banana cream (10%) and cherry (9%)
- Pie just isn’t for after-dinner dessert. Thirty-five percent of Americans say they’ve had pies for breakfast. Pies as lunch (66%) and midnight snacks (59%) also have a popular following.
- When asked what dessert Americans would prefer a friend or family member bring to their house for a holiday dinner, pie was the winner with 29%. Cake (17%) and cookies (15%) rounded out the top-three spots.
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 cups apples (5-7 medium)
- 1 unbaked pie dough recipe
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup firm butter
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- In 1-quart saucepan, cook ¼ cup butter over medium heat, stirring constantly, until melted and lightly browned. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- In a mixer, beat ½ cup granulated sugar and the egg until light and fluffy. Beat in 2 tablespoons flour, vanilla, and cinnamon. Beat in cooled butter and yogurt. Gently stir in apples.
- Pour into crust-lined cupcake tins.
- In medium bowl, stir together all streusel ingredients except butter. With pastry blender or fork, cut in ¼ cup butter until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over apple tartlets.
- Place pie tartlets in oven.
- Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and cover edge of crust with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Bake about 30 minutes longer or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Let cool and eat!