FINALLY! I’ve been dying to post this eggnog recipe and now that it’s seasonally appropriate, I can.
I have never, ever liked eggnog in my life, but I still try it every year. I want to like it because it’s like Christmas in a glass. This year, I started craving it for some reason. Then I tried it and I’m obsessed now. I don’t know what happened, but I’m not questioning it.
I didn’t have any in the house, so I decided to make my own. I found the recipe on The Cooking Geek and it’s so creamy, thick, and sweet… and so Christmas-y. Plus, it’s non-alcoholic eggnog, so you can either enjoy it without rum or add your own. You’ll definitely want to make this!
Do you like eggnog?
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy Cream
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon rum extract
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Nutmeg and cinnamon to taste
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together 1 cup sugar and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Crack 6 eggs into the mixing bowl and whisk very well until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour 3 cups of milk into a large pot and turn the heat up to medium.
- Pour the egg mixture into the milk and whisk very quickly.
- Continuously whisk while it heats up. You will notice that it thickens a bit and becomes smooth. It will take about 5 minutes.
- Take the pot off the heat as soon as the proper temperature is reached. Add 1 cup of cream and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, rum extract, and a pinch of nutmeg. Stir well.
- Put into a pitcher and refrigerate until it is cold and thick. (around 8 hours is best)
- When ready to serve, stir or shake the eggnog well and pour into serving glasses. Dust with nutmeg/cinnamon.