I love, love, love box mix Funfetti cake. I don’t know why, but I always have.
Being a baker, of course I’ve tried to recreate it a few times, but it has never turned out right. Until now… and since the weather isn’t acting like winter, I’m not baking like winter, either.
I was actually making a cake to make cake balls, but this cake ended up as the perfect Funfetti cake. I guess you get what you want when you stop trying!
Is there a box mix that you just can’t beat with a “from scratch” recipe?
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 ¾ cups flour
- ⅛ cup cornstarch
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sprinkles
- 1 recipe for buttercream frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 inch pan.
- Combine the egg whites, vanilla, vegetable oil, and whole milk. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl; sift the dry ingredients. Fitted with a paddle attachment, blend the dry ingredients with the butter and half of the milk and egg white mixture. Scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl, and then slowly add the remaining mixture and stop mixing once combined.
- Fold in sprinkles and pour mix into pan. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Watch carefully so you don’t over bake.
- Lastly, frost with the buttercream frosting.
- I used Food Network’s recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gale-gand/quick-vanilla-buttercream-frosting-recipe/index.html