Sticking with the “lazy baker” theme this week, here is another great, quick, crowd-pleasing recipe.
I have an excuse for my laziness. I graduate college in 3 weeks and I’m freaking out and extremely busy, but so excited!
However, I just can’t bring myself to have company over and not have some sort of treat to give them, so I’m just taking some shortcuts. I seriously made this caramel corn in 30 minutes. I was super excited!
My friend and I almost ate the whole batch together in one night. It’s really good.
- 4 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup margarine
- ¼ cup dark corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup peanuts
- ½ cup butterscotch chips
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Place the popped popcorn into a large microwave-safe bowl (And one that will fit in the microwave!). Set aside.
- In a 2 quart casserole dish, or other heat-proof glass dish, combine the sugar, margarine, corn syrup, salt and vanilla. Heat for 3 minutes in the microwave, then take out and stir until well blended.
- Return to the microwave, and cook for 1½ minutes. Remove from microwave, and stir in the baking soda.
- Pour syrup over the popcorn in the bowl. Gently stir the popcorn mixture with a wooden spoon until the popcorn is fully coated.
- Place bowl into the microwave, and cook for 1 minute and 10 seconds.
- Remove, stir, and return it to the microwave.
- Cook for another 1 minute and 10 seconds.
- Dump the popcorn out onto waxed paper, and let cool until coating is set.
- Once cool, stir in the butterscotch chips and peanuts.
- Store in an airtight container.