Since I’m not doing anything exciting for St. Patrick’s Day, I have to drown my sorrows in brownies.
Because of this, they had to be the perfect brownies.
I didn’t want brownies with frosting, but I wanted something on top.
I didn’t want fluffy brownies, I wanted thick, fudgy brownies.
I wanted something minty, but more chocolatey.
I wanted brownies with cream cheese in them.
So I made these.
And they are perfect. And I’m not even sad about not doing anything for St. Patrick’s Day anymore. (Okay, that might not be true).
What are your plans for St. Patrick’s Day?
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1⅛ cups sugar
- ½ cups cocoa
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp isntant coffee
- ½ Tbsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cups flour
- Cream Cheese Layer:
- 4 oz cream cheese (1/2 block)
- 2 blocks vanilla almond bark, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 oz. chocolate of choice
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 8″ x 8″ pan.
- In a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine. Return the mixture to the heat briefly, just until it’s hot, but not bubbling; it’ll become shiny looking as you stir it. Heating this mixture a second time will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on your brownies.
- Transfer the sugar mixture to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, instant coffee, and vanilla.
- Whisk in the eggs, stirring until smooth.
- Add the flour,stirring until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into a lightly greased 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Bake the brownies for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove them from the oven and cool completely prior to cutting.
- Make the cream cheese layer:
- Beat the cream cheese in a mixer until fluffy.
- Mix together the oil, peppermint extract, and almond bark and slowly pour into the fluffy cream cheese while the mixer is beating on low.
- Slowly beat in the powdered sugar until fluffy.
- Once the brownies are cool, spread the cream cheese mixture on top.
- Make the ganache:
- Heat the cream in the microwave for about a minute.
- Place the chocolate in the cream and let it sit.
- Wait a couple of minutes and then stir together the chocolate and cream until smooth.
- Pour over the cream cheese layer.
- Let the brownies set before cutting.