We have Internet! And with that, I’m bringing you this fabulous pie.
I was craving some super sweetness and this pie definitely satisfied. It’s layered with chocolate, dulce de leche, whipped cream, bananas, and more chocolate… definitely not a healthy treat like my last post. Balance.
Okay, so I tried to make my own homemade dulce de leche for this recipe (by placing a can of sweetened condensed milk in a pan and then in a water bath in the oven) and I was so close to making it perfect. Buuutt, apparently my impatience got the best of me and I didn’t leave it in the oven long enough, so my pie turned out a bit soupier than it should have. Not that it matters… it was still fantastic and got eaten in 2 days time! I’m just suggesting you use store-bought dulce de leche to save you some time.
Don’t be intimidated by the long title of this dessert, it really is simple to make and a definite crowd pleaser. Plus, it’s from Betty Crocker and she knows what she’s doing.
- 1 pie shell, baked and cooled
- can (13.4 oz) dulce de leche
- 3 ripe medium bananas
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Spray a skillet with cooking oil and heat to medium heat. Slice one of the bananas and place in the prepared skillet. Let the bananas heat up until they begin to bubble.
- Place the contents of the skillet into the bottom of the baked pie crust.
- Spoon contents of can of dulce de leche into center of cooled crust, on top of the caramelized banana; gently spread to edge. Thinly slice bananas; arrange over dulce de leche.
- Place ¼ cup of the chocolate chips over the bananas.
- In medium bowl, beat whipping cream and powdered sugar with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Spread over bananas.
- In small resealable freezer plastic bag, place ½ cup of the chocolate chips and oil; seal bag. Microwave on High 30 seconds; knead bag to mix melted chips and unmelted chips. Microwave 15 to 30 seconds longer or until all chips are melted and smooth. Snip off tiny corner of bag. Pipe melted chocolate mixture over whipped cream. Store pie in refrigerator.