First of all, HAPPY ST. PATRICK’S DAY!
I suck at St. Patrick’s Day… I went to church this morning (St. Patrick’s is the name of my church, mind you) and I looked around at all the people wearing green and realized I had none on. Not one speck. Not even green underwear.
Luckily I made it home un-pinched (nice church people), changed into green clothing, and praised myself for at least remembering to make a St. Patrick’s Day dessert this year, so that’s good news.
Anyway, the weather has been so nice lately that I’m already over St. Patrick’s Day and ready for Easter.
I figured these cupcakes were the perfect transition between the two holidays. They could be for both. They’re green and they’re springy.
Annnnd, not to mention, they’re delicious. So fresh and, well, spring-tasting. Does that make sense? Just try them, you’ll know what I mean.
P.S. Apparently it’s National Chocolate Week this week, so prepare yourselves!
Did you remember to wear green today?
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablesspoons finely grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 stick butter
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon key lime juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is until incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in lime zest and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture in batches, alternating with buttermilk and lime juice, and beating until just combined after each.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each ¾ full.
- Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until golden brown and a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes.
- Beat the butter until light in fluffy. Add in the lime juice and vanilla.
- Once fluffy, slowly beat in the powdered sugar until incorporated.
- Pipe on cooled cupcakes (I used a ziplock bag with a cut in the bottom corner).