Our fridge has been on the fritz lately. The good part- we can still use our freezer as a fridge, the bad part- I didn’t realize that until all of our cheese, milk, eggs, etc. had gone bad. Fortunately, butter doesn’t go bad and I was able to use that to make these.
Kellen’s birthday was a week ago and I wanted to make him a cake, but without milk, I wasn’t able to. He likes brownies better anyway so I made him these. He didn’t even end up trying them (he doesn’t like sweets?! freak.), but I devoured them! These are super moist and super gooey– perfect brownies! I typically don’t like cake-y brownies, but these are dammn good. Every time you bite into a piece of candy bar (I used Cadbury Caramel Eggs, by the way– why do I still have Easter candy!?), it’s heaven.
If you’re out of milk and eggs, make these. If you’re not out of milk and eggs, make these.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups white sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup margarine or butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups of your favorite candy bar, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Pour in water, vegetable oil and vanilla; mix until well blended.
- Spread half of the mixture evenly in a 9x13 inch baking pan. Sprinkle your chopped candy bar over the mixture.
- Spread the other half of the brownie mixture over the candy bar layer.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is no longer shiny and you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.